Saturday, April 16, 2016

South Carolina - Old Sheldon Church

The South Carolina coast is simply one of my most favorite places. I've had the privilege of visiting Beaufort several times, and I find myself never wanting to leave the dreamy Spanish moss filled trees, the sprawling plantation homes, and the quaint down town. It's funny how some of the places that feel like home to me are not the places that house my belongings.

Our first visit to the area was in 2013. I had done some research, and knew before we left, that one of the places I wanted to visit was Old Sheldon Church. This visit, being our first, was a little busy but Josh and I still managed to sneak away the morning before we left, and drove to Yemassee. When we pulled up, I was in complete awe. In a break in the trees was a path marked by two brick pillars that lead directly to the church ruins. The light was early afternoon dreamy, and we were the only two people there. It was so surreal. To see Old Sheldon in pictures simply does not do justice to this beautiful and rather large piece of history. Josh and I took pictures of each other standing by the columns to show perspective. We walked the grounds for a little while, taking in the beautiful scenery and checking out the tombs and gravestones on the property and I felt like it was only appropriate to speak in whispers- like a library.


In the mid 1700's Old Sheldon was built, and the first service held there was in 1757. Just a little over twenty years later it was set on fire by British Troops during the Revolutionary War. It was rebuilt, using some existing walls in the 1820's, but burned down a second time in 1865 during the Civil War. The fire may have done damage, but it's been said that the inside was gutted for materials to help rebuild homes also set on fire at that time.


How amazing is it that it was set on fire not once, but twice! And the original walls are still standing! That's some incredible masonry work. I also find it amazing that even in ruins, it's a beautiful piece of history.









This place is a must-see in my opinion. I'd suggest going early to mid-morning before it gets to hot, and for the chance to enjoy it all to yourself. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment